Sunday, November 10, 2013

11.10.13 Help me help my country?

“There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must of felt what it is to die, Morrel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life. Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget, that until the day God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, 'Wait and Hope.” ― Alexandre Dumas


I know that I have said that I will no longer be posting personal style posts as much as I did before, but I figured posting one again is my way to capture the attention of all you lovely fashion bloggers out there. This will be a way for me to help my country, so if you have even a second, I beg of you to please spare some time to hear me out.
As we all know, my country (the Philippines) has been faced with another challenge in the form of a super typhoon named Haiyan. To give you a glimpse of what Haiyan caused, I borrowed some images from www.dailymail.co.uk :




Also, according to LIZZIE EDMONDS and WILLS ROBINSON (also from dailymail.co.uk),

  • "-Typhoon Haiyan was a maximum category-five storm with ground winds of up to 235mph
  • -Red Cross today estimates 1,200 people have been killed, 1,000 of those in the city of Tacloban, Leyte
  • -Around four million people are said to have been affected, according to the the country's national disaster agency
  • -Bodies were seen floating in flooded streets with rescue workers saying the aftermath was similar to the 2004 Tsunami 
  • -800,000 evacuated before gales whipped up 19ft waves that battered the islands of Leyte and Samar"
  • (Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2494635/Philippines-super-typhoon-Haiyan-powerful-storm-history.html#ixzz2kFTHgqT9 )

    Here is a youtube video of the frightening storm:



    So what is my point in sharing these to you? Well, I want to help my country, and I know I can only help so little given the fact that I am insignificant. I am no one famous, nor powerful. I do believe that little things done to help can change the world someday, but frankly I do not want to make my countrymen wait for "someday" for too long a period of time. I am not obliging anyone to help, because I cannot give you any reward except the feeling of fulfillment and joy in helping others in need. If you can help me help my country, I will be forever grateful to you.

    There are numerous ways to help. I got this from yahoo news (http://news.yahoo.com/how-to-help-donate-to-victims-of-super-typhoon-haiyan-195111618.html):
    "- The United Nations World Food Programme estimates that 2.5 million people will need food assistance in the regions affected by Haiyan. They have set up a page where you can donate to efforts aimed at providing relief to families and children affected by the typhoon.

    - UNICEF is accepting donations to directly assist the children affected by Haiyan. “Children urgently need access to safe water, hygiene supplies, food, shelter and a safe environment to recover,” the groups said.

    Catholic Relief Services
     is another major organization helping to collect relief funds for the recovery efforts.

    Save the Children 
    is directing donations to help children in the Philippines, Vietnam and Laos. They’ve also said they will set aside 10 percent of all donations to create a new fund for similar future emergencies.

    Heifer
     is accepting donations to help residents recover from and prepare for future disasters.
    - The Canadian organization GlobalMedic is working to provide clean water to Haiyan victims. “Those people are vulnerable,” GlobalMedic’s Rahul Singh told the Toronto Sun. “And clean water is essential in order to prevent a secondary catastrophe."
    P.S. I'm donating through UNICEF. They made it very easy to donate.




    Thank you for taking time to hear me out. Hoping and praying for my countrymen ~ Janine

    2 comments:

    1. Hey! I found your blog from Interpals, which I also have an account. This is such a great blog and this post is amazing. Your photos are very powerful!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so much! I'm checking out your blog as well ^_^

        Delete